Friday, July 29, 2011

I know this is long but please bear with me Facebook conversation.

Tesk: I am happy. I just realized. I mean really happy, not the yay! pie! happy but the full to the brim of love and productiveness. Yeah, I've got some troubles now and some coming but I know I'll come out better than I go in because I have confidence in myself and love for myself.
Michael: Good work, nigger broheem.
Tesk: That is just not alright, Michael. Don't use that word.
Michael: I won't use the 'B' word again, sorry, Niggz.
Tesk: Seriously, man. Don't say it in any form. It's offensive.
Michael: I don't see anything offensive about it. If someone called me 'cracker', I'd be fine with it, because it's just a skin color. Nothing more. I think you're just light-hearted.
Tesk: I think it's a word that represents generations of oppression and senseless hatred. I think that It's a word that is more disgusting than any other in any language I have heard before because it represents the worst humanity has in itself. I think you just don't fucking joke about how terrible it is to be hated just because of the way you were born.
Cracker doesn't compare. It's not the same. It's not even on the same league as that word. Cracker still wears a bib and scoots around on its diapered ass. That word is inconceivably awful and it's impossible to fully empathize with how it can make the person it's directed at feel.
Michael: I stand by my argument that racial slurs are only offensive if one makes it offensive.
Same with any kind of discriminative word. 'Faggot' for example. I don't see the point of any of these words being taken offensively, they're just words. Racism means nothing, because skin colour means nothing. So, black people were taken into slavery a while back. So what? If anything, it's white people who should get offended by such a word for their massive ignorance and greed.
Tesk: I've run out of words for the stupid in that sentence. Is this a sticks and stones argument? Words will never hurt you but sticks and stones will? I suppose that lynching disproves that, hm? That's sticks, stones, and names! Wow, gee. What a dealy, yo?
Michael: *waits*
Tesk: If you honestly think you're on the level about what it's like to be discriminated against, to be the victim of prejudice, or to feel the full brunt of someone's irrational hatred then you are far too ignorant to function properly. If you think you have even remotely "trumped" me then you are far more a fool than I thought you were. Get off your fucking horse and look around. Racism isn't gone. It's alive and ugly and no little boy talking about words he knows the definition of but has no comprehension of the meaning behind them can ever think to so much as come close.
Michael: I know what it's like to be discriminated against and I know what it's like the be the victim of prejudice. No, I never, ever used the word out of irrational hatred. There is no reason for hatred. If black people can so freely use a word that is so discriminative of themselves, why do they do it? Because they don't actually care. The word was never offensive and never will be offensive, unless heard by stuck up prudes like yourself. People need to learn that if a word is used as a fun loving greeting or title, it's not meant to offend and it shouldn't. No matter what the word. Don't take life so serious, niggz.
Tesk: You really will never get it. Just as much as I won't. You just refuse to understand that there's a difference.
They don't use the word because they don't care. Some of them use it to make it hurt less; to make the sting of it less harsh when others say it. The word is offensive and has always been offensive and no matter what you do it won't make it any different. Because that word is a scar across society. Now, a scar. Think of it as a barely closed wound, still red and swollen and hurting because it is.
I am not stuck up and I am not a prude; I just have respect for the people I love. And I can see it in faces I pass and in situations that come up that it is in no way a fun loving word or title.
What you're doing it sterilizing it in the most crass and offensive way possible. What you are trying to do will make the word lose meaning and make people forget and that's not what needs to be done.
We should never forget what happened to those people. We should never paint over the pain and oppression they suffered just to make ourselves feel better. It was there and it happened and now what we have left is hatred personified in that word. Racism isn't over. It isn't even nearly there. That word you say should be used in a fun way is still used in a derogatory way.
This isn't some long past word that's no longer used is a slur but a still present and living beast that strikes out at others.
And it is never, ever oh-fucking-kay to use it.
Michael: It's pretty hilarious sometimes.
Tesk: This isn't a joke at all. Not even a little bit. And I want you to think about how un-funny it is. You've never tried to console a teenage girl, sobbing her eyes out because of that word before. You've never seen a woman stand to the side and watch a black girl get arrested and laugh like it's the rightest thing in the world. You've never seen what sort of destruction that word and its sentiment can bring.
Michael: Yes, but people are assholes.
Tesk: And you're definitely a people right now.
Michael: You know it.
Tesk: Indeed. I'm de-friending you now. This idiocy is not something I want to associate with.

No comments:

Post a Comment